There are a number of compelling community happenings this week – plus, the much-anticipated special election for Brookhaven town highway superintendent will take place on Tuesday. Here's a look at what's happening this week in the Port Jefferson area:
1. Beginning Monday and lasting through March 28, anyone can drop off food items at Legis. Sarah Anker's office to be donated to Long Island Cares. Her office is at 620 Route 25A, Suite B in Mount Sinai.
2. Wendy's in Miller Place is donating 15-percent of all sales from 5-8 p.m. on Tuesday to the . Enjoy some food and help support Betty Argento RDH, who will be volunteering in Jamaica this year.
3. Tuesday is the Town of Brookhaven's special election for the post of highway superintendent; vote at your regular polling place. Republican Dan Losquadro is facing off against Kathy Walsh, an Independence party member running on the Democratic ticket, and a handful of write-in candidates are hopefuls for the post as well.
4. Last week, the Superintendent's budget for Miller Place was introduced. This Wednesday, the second budget workshop which includes details on the instructional and non-instructional portions of the budget will take place at 7:30 p.m. in the high school.
5. The Shoreham-Wading River school board meets Tuesday, with public session at 8 p.m. in the high school.