.
News Alert
Police: Rocky Point Man Robbed Two Banks,…

Jury Finds Popcorn Smell Caused Lung Disease And Awards $7.2 Million

Chemical in microwave popcorn may be dangerous to your health.

by Long Island Attorney Paul A. Lauto, Esq.

A Federal Court jury awarded $7.2 million dollars to Wayne Wilson, as damages for lung disease developed as a result of a chemical used in microwave popcorn.  The condition known as "popcorn lung", is an irreversible obstructive lung disease that makes air flow in and out of the lungs difficult.

Watson claimed that he developed the disease after long term exposure to the smell of the chemical butter flavoring diacetyl.  Before contracting the disease, Watson consumed an average of two bags of microwave popcorn per day over the period of ten years.  Watson sued the popcorn manufacturer and the supermarket chain, claiming negligence in failing to warn of a known danger from diacetyl.

Read further details and about plaintiff's star witness in our latest Scales of Justice blog at http://www.liattorney.com.

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.

Justin Time September 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Wow two bags a day for ten years!? Is that a guinness record?
K. September 21, 2012 at 12:03 PM
I think that condition is called: "Maize-othelioma".

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »