Twelve people were arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated at a sobriety checkpoint in Port Jefferson Station early Saturday morning, according to a police report. Police also said that one vehicle was seized under Suffolk County law for repeat DWI offenses.
- James Conte, 35, of 123 Woodhull Landing, Sound Beach
- Gary Scholz, 51, of 39 Farm Road, Saint James
- Michael West, 25, of 7 Pineway Ave., Mastic Beach
- Anthony Capri, 49, of 42 Mill Pond Lane, East Moriches
- Nelson Marty, 41 of 2 First St., Coram
- Janine Fitts, 47, of 9A East Ave., Coram
- Tamela Laboy, 29, of 700 Jericho Turnpike, New Hyde Park
- Kristen Conrad, 23, of 511 Canal Road, Mount Sinai
- Michael Suskevich, 24, of 2120 Kenneys Road, Southold
- Christopher Edwards, 33, of 274 Hallock Road, Stony Brook
- Douglas McDonough, 24, of 18 Catherine St., Selden
- Deborah Papetti, 22, of 63 McGaw Ave., Lake Grove, was arrested for Driving While Ability Impaired by Drugs. Papetti was also charged with Unlawful Possession of Marijuana.
Suffolk County Police, New York State Police and Suffolk County Parks Police conducted a sobriety checkpoint and saturation patrol at the intersection of Routes 112 and 25A in Port Jefferson Station. Police said 1002 vehicles went through the checkpoint.
"This operation was conducted for the prevention of injuries and fatalities associated with driving while intoxicated, particularly during the Labor Day holiday weekend," read a police statement about the arrests.
Police, along with County Executive Steve Bellone, announced last week that police will be . Officials said that the names of those arrested over the weekend will be released to the media.
The 12 people are scheduled for arraignment Saturday in First District Court in Central Islip.