The following information was supplied by the Suffolk County police departments. A criminal charge is only an accusation and does not indicate guilt.
• A Commack resident is one of dozens of Long Islanders who fell victim to an ongoing phone scam.
According to Suffolk County police, the Commack resident received a call Aug. 13 in which the caller allegedly fooled the homeowner into believing that a family member was arrested and needed money for bail. Police said the victim sent the money, but then learned it was all a lie.
• An East Northport man was arrested Aug. 14 after he allegedly stole more than $1,000 worth of electronics from the Commack Staples, where he worked.
According to police, Marc Chery, 23, took nine cell phones, two tablets and a GPS from his former place of employment.He was charged with grand larceny in the third degree, a Class D felony punishable by up to seven years in prison.
• A Nesconset woman was arrested on two burglary charges this week, including stealing cash from a nearby house of worship.Suffolk County police arrested Marisa Chayet, 23, after she allegedly swiped cash from Chabad Torah Community Center in Lake Grove. Police did not indicate how much was stolen.
• A 17-year-old girl from Sound Beach was arrested Aug. 15 on Route 25A in Mt. Sinai and charged with DWI, a misdemeanor. Police said she did not move over or slow down for a passing emergency vehicle with lights on, and arrested her at 1:20 a.m.• A man reported being punched in the face after a verbal argument with another man at the taxi stand at the Port Jefferson train station just before midnight on Aug. 11. The victim suffered an eye injury but refused medical attention.
• Suffolk County Crime Stoppers and identity theft detectives are asking for the public’s help in finding the person responsible for using a victim’s debit card to go shopping in Riverhead.Police said on April 24, a man went into a Target, located at 1150 Old Country Road, a Walgreen’s, located on 1196 Old Country Road and a Kmart, located at 605 Old Country Road, and made several purchases using a victim’s debit card information.