The Miller Place Fire Department is used to battling blazes in the area, but on New Year's Eve, members of the department had to tackle a fire in their own firehouse.
At 11:05 a.m. on Monday, First Assistant Chief Josh Hagermann was at the headquarters on Miller Place Road when the fire alarms starting sounding and smoke was found in the truck bay of the firehouse. Hagermann determined there was a fire in the generator room, and he and a few other members were able to get the trucks out of that side of the building while pulling an engine around to get water on the fire.
According to Chief Kyle Markott, multiple fire departments were called in to assist because it was at a commercial structure.
"The fire was quickly extinguished and the mutual aid departments were released within 30 minutes," Markott said. "The firehouse sustained minor damage which was contained to that generator room."
Let Patch save you time. Get local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.