School may be the last thing on your children's minds at the moment, but we've got a few ways you can slowly start preparing them for the upcoming school year.
1. Some buildings in the district may have new school hours, so check with your school's main office for any changes. Call 631-474-2700 for Miller Place and 631-744-1600 for Rocky Point.
2. Teachers and individual schools in Miller Place and Rocky Point have begun posting their supply lists for their incoming classes; you'll find some lists and welcome letters from teachers on each district's website.
3. The Miller Place and Rocky Point communities have an abundance of places that sell school supplies, including Rite Aid, CVS, Party Hardy and supermarkets. Take your pick! Or check out nearby and .
4. Help your kids learn a lesson in kindness before school even starts. There are children in the community whose families need help providing them with new school supplies for this year. The office of Suffolk County Legis. Sarah Anker , as are .
5. Tackle another summer reading pick – or a few more, if your child is really ambitious. Check out Port Jefferson Library's reading lists.
6. Speaking of the library, there is tutoring space available in case you want your child to brush up on his or her knowledge from last year with a tutor. Live homework help and skill building are also available via Suffolk County's Live-brary program.
7. Port Jefferson library has specific test prep materials for students who have SAT, PSAT, ACT, and grade 3 through 5 New York State tests coming up.
8. Student schedules and teacher assignments are set to be posted in each districts parent portal in the upcoming weeks. Click here for the Miller Place parent portal and here for Rocky Point's portal.
10. At Smith Haven Mall, a handful of stores have already started back-to-school sales. For instance, jeans are on sale at Abercrombie and at Tilly's; backpacks are on sale at Gap Kids; school uniform items are on sale at The Children's Place; and shoes are on sale at Journeys Kidz. Check with your favorite stores for details.